Computer Acceptable Use Policy
Updated: 4/1/2016; Reviewed: 10/13/21
Contact: Information Technology
Prior to receiving a William Jewell College network account, all students, faculty and staff are required to read and sign the College’s Acceptable Use Policy.
Statement of Privilege
William Jewell College owns and operates the campus computing, networking and other electronic resources as a service to constituents to carry forward the College’s mission. Among the primary goals of these resources are enhancing teaching and learning in academic life and enabling productivity in administrative offices.
Users are granted access to computing, networking and other electronic resources developed and maintained by William Jewell College as a privilege of association with the institution as a student or employee, using resources in accordance with the mission of the college in general and with college policies in particular. Users need to be good stewards to ensure the College’s limited information technology (IT) resources are used effectively. Please be aware that except where precluded by law, the College has the right to measure and monitor use of information technology resources, including College-owned email accounts.
Statement of Unauthorized Use
The following information is intended as a guide in determining what is unacceptable use; the guidelines are not intended to be exhaustive. In questions of dispute, the Director of Information Technology will be the final judge.
No person shall use technology resources developed and maintained by William Jewell College except in accordance with the policies and practices in place at William Jewell College.
No person shall seek to gain unauthorized access to the computer resources developed by William Jewell College. Any access using another person’s password is considered unauthorized access. Attempts to breach computer system security shall be considered grounds for forfeiture of all computer system privileges.
- Any use of the William Jewell College technology systems and resources for illegal activity is prohibited.
- Any use of the William Jewell College technology systems and resources for unauthorized commercial purposes is prohibited.
- Any use of the William Jewell College technology systems and resources that disrupt functioning of those same resources is prohibited. Such use includes but is not limited to propagation of computer viruses, unsolicited mass communication, and chain letters.
- Any use of the William Jewell College computing systems and resources for political gain or exclusive personal gain is prohibited.
- All network traffic is subject to monitoring procedures conducted by the Office of Information Technology of William Jewell College for purposes of determining compliance with the above or for determining compliance with other policies of the institution.
- Transmitting, without authorization, William Jewell College proprietary information is prohibited.
- Using William Jewell College technology resources for any activity that degrades William Jewell College provided services, denies services to other William Jewell College technology resource users, or jeopardizes the security or capabilities of William Jewell College technology resources is prohibited.
- Users are informed of the existence of other policies that are not a part of this document, but that are enforced under clauses in this document. See the “Email – Use of Resources and Standards of Etiquette” section in the WJC IT Knowledge Base at https://helpdesk.jewell.edu.
Statement of Compliance
Users of the William Jewell College technology systems and resources agree to abide by the policies and practices here set forth, and to other policies and practices relevant to the ethical and legitimate use of the institution’s technology systems and resources.
Non-compliance with these policies and practices will be treated as grounds for discipline, including, but not limited to, warnings, probation, expulsion/termination, and/or suspension or forfeiture of privilege with regard to the use of any or all of the William Jewell College technology systems and resources.
I, the undersigned, understand and agree to the policies here set forth:
Full Name (please print):______________________________________________
Signature: __________________________________________________Date: _________
Jewell Student/Employee ID#: ______________
Please check: Student _____ Faculty ____ Staff______
Department (if Faculty/Staff): ____________________________________