Jewell shares plan for fall events and athletics
As William Jewell College prepares to welcome students to campus for the fall semester and provide a safe living and learning experience amid the COVID-19 pandemic, the following plans have been made with consideration from partners including MRIGlobal international biorisk expert, Liberty Hospital’s medical staff, Clay County Public Health Center and the NCAA.
- Jewell-sponsored public events will not be held for the rest of the calendar year. Some gatherings will change to a virtual format and some may be rescheduled for spring 2021. The Cardinal Athletic Hall of Fame ceremony, for example, will be held in the spring, either in person or virtual. Check jewell.edu/news-events for updates.
- Graduation-related celebrations from the spring have been rescheduled for these dates:
- Master of Science in Education Hooding: Aug. 16
- Nursing Pinning: Sept. 11
- Commencement: Sept. 12
By vote of the Great Lakes Valley Conference Council of Presidents, GLVC schools will postpone the majority of the 2020 fall intercollegiate athletics season until the second semester. The decision was made based on guidance from the league's athletics directors and an extensive review of the recommended testing and safety measures developed by the NCAA Sport Science Institute.
- The fall sports of football, men's and women's soccer, and volleyball will have regular-season competition and GLVC Championships conducted in the second semester, while the sports of men's and women's cross country will still be permitted to compete this fall with the 2020 GLVC Cross Country Championships slated for Oct. 24. Men's and women's golf and tennis will also be allowed to compete in their non-championship segments in the fall and continue their season into the spring when their respective championship seasons begin.
- Several winter sports are scheduled to begin their 2020-21 seasons as early as September. Swimming and indoor track and field will be permitted to compete as scheduled, while the Conference has established Oct. 1 as the deadline to determine the competition start date for basketball.
- The spring sports of baseball and softball will be permitted to have only intrasquad competition on campus in the fall.
Jewell students return to campus in staggered shifts beginning Aug. 22, with first-year orientation being offered in a hybrid format with some in-person small groups activities and virtual activities, as health guidelines allow at that time.
At the core of Jewell’s Operation Safe Campus is a threat assessment matrix built around the military’s defense force protection model. This framework outlines a continuum of threat levels with correlating planning, education, training and protocols for each phase across all campus departments.
Our current threat level is posted at jewell.edu/coronavirus and communicated with a coordinating colored flag on the College Quad. On that web page you also will find our threat matrix, Return to Campus Guide for the fall and other COVID-19 resources.