Smoke-Free and Tobacco-Free Policy
Updated: 7/22/16; Reviewed: 10/13/21
Contact: Facilities Administrative Director
William Jewell College is committed to providing a healthy, comfortable and productive learning and work environment for all students, faculty and staff. Research shows that tobacco use, including smoking, breathing secondhand smoke and using smokeless tobacco, constitutes a significant health hazard and is the leading cause of preventable illness and death in the United States (betobaccofree.hhs.gov). In light of these health risks and in support of a safe and healthy campus environment, William Jewell prohibits all use of smoking and tobacco products, including smoking and smokeless tobacco and e-cigarettes, within all college buildings and on college property.
This policy applies to all, including students, faculty, staff, contractors, suppliers, visitors, and any other person while in William Jewell College facilities or on its property.
For the purpose of this policy, the following definitions will be used:
- Tobacco is defined to include, but not limited to, any lit cigarette, cigar, pipe, bidi, clove cigarette, and any other smoking product; and smokeless tobacco, also known as dip, chew, snuff or snus in any form.
- Smoking is defined to include Inhaling, exhaling, or burning any smoking equipment, including electronic cigarettes or similar devices, or tobacco.
- William Jewell College Facilities and Property are defined as any area or building on the campus proper*or vehicle owned, leased or operated by William Jewell College.
*Facilities and property fully managed and maintained by William Jewell College
The success of this policy will depend on the thoughtfulness, consideration and cooperation of both tobacco users and non-users. As we transition to this new campus culture, individuals are encouraged to pay attention to and abide by campus signage designating the smoke-free and tobacco-free nature of the campus and to help others notice the signage, as appropriate.
All members of the William Jewell College community shall be responsible for compliance with this policy. It is expected that all faculty, staff, students, contractors, suppliers, and visitors will voluntarily comply with the spirit and intent of this policy. Violations of this policy may result in disciplinary action. Fines and citations will not be part of the basic enforcement of this policy; however, the discipline policies applicable to students, faculty, and staff may be invoked, if necessary, to secure compliance with this policy, especially with individuals who, after being educated about the policy, repeatedly violate it. Suspected violations of this policy should be reported in the following manner:
- Violations of this policy by faculty and staff should be brought to the attention of the employee’s supervisor and/or Human Resources, as appropriate
- Violations of this policy by students should be brought to the attention of the Office of Student Life
- Violations of this policy by visitors should be brought to the attention of Campus Safety
- Violations of this policy by contractors should be brought to the attention of the department for whom the contractor is working or to the Vice President for Finance and Operations (CFO), as appropriate
Smoking Cessation Support
Understanding the addictive nature of tobacco products, William Jewell will make every effort to assist those who may wish to stop using tobacco products. Students are encouraged to contact the Student Health Center for information about smoking cessation programs. Faculty and staff are encouraged to contact Human Resources for information about smoking cessation resources.